Saturday, March 29, 2008

Finally a Run Outside

I went on a hurried run with a friend a few weeks ago, but today was my first solitary run outside in a long time. Every time we have a little break in the weather, it seems I have work or family obligations. Of course, with three teenagers, I'm always busy! I have been running on the treadmill several times a week, trying to get back in running condition, but there is nothing like a run outside.

I was doing some work today (yes, on a Saturday), and as I looked out the window I noticed how sunny it was. Given that we have had rain, snow, sleet, or else it's been very cold, and it is supposed to rain sometime today, I figured I'd better take my chance. I started some automatic loads for work, and then I had to dig around to find all my gadgets! By the time I found the case for my telephone, some of my cold weather gear, ipod shuffle and the strap for it -- it was about 45 minutes later! Luckily I already knew where my Garmin was. I dressed moderately warmly and was finally off.

It was great. At first I was a little self-conscience. I like to be anonymous when I run, but anymore too many people know me and my hats do not disguise me. That's another thing that happens when you have teenagers -- their friends and parents all know I run so they notice me when I'm out. And, Defiance is not a big town.

After a few minutes, though, I forgot about that. I was enjoying the good music, the sunshine, and the feeling one gets when running. I tried to apply the principles I had been reading about in the Chi Running book. I felt the winter blues lifting as I ran. I even started smiling while I was running. It was a little chilly on the way back because the wind picked up, but I enjoyed every minute. I was able to get 5.25 miles in. What a great way to take a break and get rejuvenated!

Now, let's hope Spring arrives soon so I can run more outside. It really helps lift the wintertime blues and get rid of some of the mental cobwebs.

No comments: