Sunday, April 13, 2008

Cold, Wet Run

Ohio has certainly been having wacky weather lately. When it is nice outside (meaning relatively dry, no ice on the ground to cause me to fall, and just at or above freezing), it seems I always have necessary obligations that keep me from running outside. When I have time to run, it's cold, snowy, rainy -- usually all three.

Today my friend called and said she wanted to go for a run. It is cold (about 40 degrees) with off and on rain/snow/sleet. I was tempted to say no. But, my teenage daughter had a birthday party yesterday. There were 21 teenagers (boys and girls) present, and then 5 girls spent the night. Needless to say, I definitely needed the stress release, so I agreed to go.

On the way to her house, the wind picked up and the rain/sleet started to hit my face. I wondered what I was getting into. She was waiting on her porch, so off we went. As we ran, just when I would start to get too cold/pelted with rain and want to turn back, the sun would come out for just long enough to make me feel warm again. After a few miles, we were warm enough from running that the cold wind/sleet/rain actually felt good! Besides the running, we talk about our kids (our teenage boys are good friends), work, emotions, and life in general. We ended up running about 5.75 miles. By the time I got back home, I felt great! I'm relaxed and ready to enjoy the rest of the weekend.

I need to try to remember this -- running in even nasty weather can be fun and is definitely invigorating!

No comments: