Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sunday Afternoon Run

The weather has been cooperating lately in Ohio. It was yet another great day for a run. But, isn't every day a great day for a run, at least once you get started?

I decided I needed a run by myself so I didn't call my running partner. I need to get started on a training plan again. In the past I have had success with a heart rate training plan, so I wore my heart monitor just to get started again with this type of training. The BullFrog 5k is in June (just 8 weeks away, I discovered), and I'd like to be somewhat trained for that race. I mainly run that one because it benefits Sunshine, Inc., and my oldest daughter has been part of the Sunshine family since she was 5 years old. I ran it last year for the first time. It was the first race I participated in after my Father died, and I wasn't trained (I almost gave up running last year due to the family issues), so I didn't do very well. I plan to do better this year!

I had good music on my Ipod Shuffle, and off I went. I decided to head off into the countryside a bit. Unfortunately, the only real wildlife I saw was roadkill. I did see a lot of the human kind, however :) It's funny how friendly people are when they see runners. I still feel a little self-conscious when I run, especially when I am by myself, but I do find I wave at people I see along the way, and that helps. Towards the end of my run I saw a woman who I usually see running (she was working in her garden) -- she's a very good runner, wins all the races in her age group, and I think she is a running coach at the college. I did feel very self-conscious when I ran by her; I could imagine her saying "what an awkward runner, and look how slowly she is running ...". But, I continued on. I stopped at 7.30 miles. I really wanted to run more, but I don't want to get hurt again.

I'll probably be too busy this week for outside runs, so it's back to the treadmill. Maybe there will be an afternoon or evening when I can at least go for a short run ...

No comments: