Sunday, June 19, 2016

Week Five - Getting Better

I started the first week of my "new" training program.  I didn't get all the strength training and cross training as planned, but this week was a new start!  I researched on what kinds of strength training is better for runners, and I ended up with two new books.  I skimmed them both, and have a plan set for this week.  So, with that I feel accomplished.

It's been several months since I've run a longish (10+ miles) run, and today I was able to finish 10.1 as scheduled (technically 10 was on the schedule, but oh well).  I had to take a few walk breaks and loop back home for a bio break, but I finished, I feel OK, and, most importantly, my knee feels better than last week.  Goal one accomplished (being able to run without additional knee pain).

In addition to a new training plan, I've also changed some other things during my runs.  When using headphones, I used to listen to music exclusively, and I still do that on some runs.  However, one of my sons introduced me to podcasts (thanks Christopher).  I find these particularly helpful on longer runs. These help me keep my mind engaged, and I feel like I am working on both mind and body.  The only issue is that occasionally I feel the need to stop and make some notes about a particular subject, book, or speaker!  One I particularly enjoy is freakonomics.  Another is NPR Hidden Brain.  These podcasts have given me some interesting ideas, and I often end up researching and reading books/articles by some of the people contributing / profiled in these podcasts.

I'm still struggling with motivation.  Putting the scheduled runs on my calendar, and having a goal to update this blog weekly both help with that.  The next step is to schedule strength workouts.  I sometimes think there is some sort of underlying depression creeping in, but the best way to combat that, for me at least, is exercise and reachable goals (marathon in September).  I've also scheduled a physical to make sure there are no underlying health issues.  I'm learning some other techniques and motivators as I listen to those aforementioned podcasts!

Now it's time to schedule that strength training!

No Excuses  / Gotta run

No comments: