Sunday, June 12, 2016

Week Four - Time for Re-evaluation

I completed week four of my marathon training.  This week has not been the best.  My knee (yes - "that" knee that kept me out of running for about three years), started hurting much more.  It is also making a clicking sound, like it did those years ago when I first had the knee issues.  I don't know if it is the volume of running, the fact I may have twisted it while mowing the lawn, not enough down time in between runs, or some combination that is causing the issues.

I decided the best thing to do, if I want to continue to train and to run, is to cut back the number of days I run.  I searched for and found a program that is geared toward senior runners, and at 58 I certainly qualify as a senior runner!  There are only three runs per week, but they are very specific runs.  The rest of the days are a combination of cross training and strength work.  Due to the fact my marathon is about 14 weeks away and this is technically a 24-week program, I had to make some modifications.

I took two days off before today's longish run.  I did some stretching and strength training specific to areas that are know to help with knee issues.  Today I was able to run 8.5 miles, and my knee is not clicking and feels only moderately sore.  I know it will never be pain-free, but I was cleared to run several years ago with the caveat that even though running won't cause it any more damage, it is going to hurt at times.

I started the week discouraged, and I have ended it on a high note.  I feel much better after today's run than I expected.  It's been a while since I've gone over 6 miles.  And I feel this new program will give me a little more freedom - I can get the mid-week run in during an evening or an early morning, depending on the weather and what's going on in life.  The other two runs are on days I have off (for now at least), so I think I will actually get more sleep with this program!  Even though I love to run and would run every day if I could, I can still get outside and walk, bicycle, hike, etc. and keep my knee from being too much of an issue.

No Excuses  / Gotta run


No comments: