Sunday, August 14, 2016

Week Twelve, Thirteen Finished and Now Week Fourteen Begins

I didn't write anything last week like I usually do.  These last few weeks have tested my ability to "go with the flow" when it comes to training.  All in all, I'm pleased with my progress. The hot, humid weather has been difficult to deal with, but I've been able to do my running, even though it might be at a slower pace than I prefer.  When it's hot, I slow down.  The important thing to me is to get the training in, even if it's slow.

At the end of week twelve, I ran the "Runaway Bride Women's Distance Festival" 5K.  It is always a fun race, and as the title implies it is mainly for women. This year they added the bride.  We chased a bride (a local fast male runner in a wedding dress complete with a veil) and had the option of wearing a bridesmaid dress.  I wore one (lucky for me it was shorter) and I won my age group.  It was so fun to see the bride and runners in various dresses.  I laughed when I first saw the bride :)  My total time was about a minute slower than last year, but I haven't been training for speed.  But wow, the age group just above me - those 60+ year old women can run fast!  I'll have my work cut out for me in a few years.  I really liked the prize this year; it was a small glass.  Because I was a little sore from the 5K and I raced rather than ran a training run, I decided to forgo the 14-mile run scheduled on Sunday.  My goal is to not end up injured, so I have learned to adjust, as hard as it is sometimes.

Week thirteen went fairly well.  I was able to do all my runs, with some ingenuity.  On Wednesday, a seven mile run was on the schedule.  About two miles in, the lightening started.  I'm crazy, but not stupid!  I was running in my neighborhood instead of my usual route, so I came back home and, as much as I prefer outside running, I finished on the treadmill.  I put on a rather difficult program, so I pushed myself. 

Friday was the first day of my "vacation" - I'm off work, but will be busy moving kids and cleaning, etc.  As it was the end of week thirteen, a 20-mile run was on the schedule.  It was a very hot, humid day.  I started out around 5:45 a.m.  I wore a head lamp and stayed in my neighborhood.  Once the sun started to come up, I left the neighborhood and headed toward town.  It didn't take long for it to heat up.  I was out of water by the time I got to about 10 miles, so I stopped at a local Walmart and re-filled my water bottles.  What a sight I must have been - I was dripping wet and probably a little flushed from the heat.  I refilled my water again at DCTV (thanks to my husband).  With a lot of slow running and walking, I was able to finish my 20 miles.  It was tough, I was dehydrated, but I finished.  This is the first time in several years  I've gotten two 20-mile training runs in; one more is scheduled in a few weeks.  I usually end up being injured and having to take time off, and never seem to get to those long, long runs.  I can't say the run was without injury, however.  Because it was hot and humid, my feet swelled.  I felt a little pain, but did not notice a blister forming and opening, until I got home and looked down at my shoe to see what the little bit of pain was about.

But, the key thing is that I finished the run and was still able to walk (as long as I wasn't wearing shoes) the rest of the day!





Today is the unofficial start of week fourteen.  I will have to really adjust my schedule due to the moving activities going on this week.  I was scheduled for an 8-mile run on Tuesday; I ran that this morning.  Of course it was a little too soon perhaps; with no runs scheduled until Wednesday, hopefully my heel will heal.  At least now both pairs of shoes match!



Where I am missing out is my strength training.  For weeks twelve and thirteen, I have only been able to get one session in each week.  But, it is a tougher session, and it is better than nothing.  I hope to get both sessions in this week.  However, we will be moving kids to two different colleges, so I may be getting some informal strength training during those moves!  Time has been limited these last few weeks, so if I have to choose, I will do the running. 

That's it for now!  The next few weeks will test my resolve to get my training in and to adjust as life dictates.  I can do this!  There is only one more 20-mile run, and then it will be basically taper time (which can be the worst part of any training plan).  I will try to write each week.  This is mainly for my benefit so I can look back and see how this training went and how it well it worked.  I won't know that until Marathon day!

No Excuses  / Gotta run

No comments: