Saturday, February 2, 2019

And So It Begins - Again

It's amazing how time flies.  It's now February and that ultra marathon is even closer!  Since the last post listed steps one through five, I'll start here with the next steps.

Step Six - Make a plan (and stick to it)
After buying a book and reading some of it (I'll get to more of it, I promise), I created a plan.  This plan was a combination of a few I looked at and some I have used over the years. The plan includes training runs, a few races, and strength training. I have learned a lot (I hope) over the years about training and training plans. For example, I know that I need more recovery days than a younger runner.  I know what days of the week work better with my work schedule for long training runs. I built the plan around those parameters.

The number one thing I have learned is to be flexible. I was aware of a few events I have between now and the race, so I incorporated those. For example, I took a trip to Austin, Texas in January. I knew that running was not a top priority on the trip.  So, I planned training runs before and after the trip, and didn't feel like I was failing when I didn't do any Texas runs. I did a LOT of walking though! If something unexpected comes up during the rest of the training, I will adjust as needed. I have learned that missing a training run here or there makes no difference in the grand scheme of things.

I have a few favorite races during the year, so I adjusted my plan to accommodate those distances. So far I have managed to stick to the training, even through the bitterly cold weather. That's something else I have learned - it doesn't matter if I have to run on the treadmill; a run inside is better than no run at all. The important thing is getting running time on my feet.

One thing I have been inconsistent with is the strength training. I included that in the plan, but I have skipped many sessions during the first month. I am going to make that more consistent starting now!  I know that strength training, especially core, helps me run better. That is particularly important as I age and it takes longer to build those muscles.

One part of the plan is lacking, and that is nutrition. My training runs will gradually increase in miles/time, so this will be very important. I have noticed that as I mature, I run out of fuel during long races. I will feel great the first several miles, then suddenly feel like I have no energy. With a 50-mile trail race, fueling my body will be critical. I have stomach issues if I eat much at all the day before and day of the race and that is also detrimental. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Step Seven - Enjoy the Process
I believe this is the most important step. Training for any race, but a long race in particular, takes significant time and dedication. If I didn't like the process, it would be very difficult to pull myself out of a bad run, and to keep going when there are so many other things happening in my life. It's not about the goal, it's about the journey.  So, here are a few stories of the journey so far. I technically started on New Year's Eve!

New Year's Eve Midnight Special 5K
This year the weather was warm, almost too warm. The wind began to pick up, but it didn't feel cold at all.  I enjoyed running in the dark and seeing the different ways people lit up their clothes.




Hangover Classic 5K
This race was exactly 12 hours after the Midnight Special. The weather was cooler, and wind made it feel even colder.  Since I rarely drink, I wasn't hung over :)  It was so much fun seeing some of the costumes people wore. I think the people wearing fuzzy bathrobes over their running clothes were the smartest!



Dave's Ten Miler
This race was in mid January, the week before the big freeze.  Even then, the weather was so bad, there was some doubt the race would be held. They lifted the road emergency just in time for the race.  It was very cold and the wind was brutal. We ran in a pattern that was a series of rectangles. Running against the wind was very cold and I felt under dressed. When the wind was to my back, I was too warm and felt over dressed. It was back and forth - too warm and perspiring, then turn into the wind and my wet gear would freeze and I'd be too cold. Nevertheless, I finished. I was surprised at how many people were able to make it to the race. There was even a Yeti :)




I hope to keep posting my jouirney.  Until  next time . . .

No Excuses / Gotta Run

No comments: