Sunday, February 24, 2019

Why Run?

Finally outside
Following my training plan, I run four days a week. It was great to be able to do three of those outside this last week!

The two runs during the week are after work. This time of the year they may start out with the  temperature fairly decent (for the Midwest anyway), but as soon as the sun starts to dip, the temperature rapidly cools and the wind seems to pick up. It can get unpleasant, especially at the point in the run when I'm sweating! It was wonderful to sip on some nice warm tea after these runs this week.

Saturday's run was 16 miles. It was the first run at that distance in quite a while, as it's early in the current training cycle. I thought it was warm out, but the wind picked up towards the middle part of the run. To keep myself going, I try to do an out and back run as much as possible.This means that when I was starting to get tired and a little chilled, I was 1/2 way through my run. I HAD to finish one way or another, since I was 8 miles from home. Running seemed to be the quickest way home!

Unfortunately, today it was just too windy to run outside. I didn't feel like getting blown off the road! The treadmill workout kept me on track. Soon I will be running exclusively outside (I hope). I want to start running some more trails, but the ones in the area have been flooded, or just extremely muddy. I don't want to take a chance on getting injured. There will be plenty of time to get more trail running before August.

Why?
During one of my weekday runs, I ran into a non-running friend. She asked me what race I was training for. I hesitated a bit before answering. Yes, I'm following a training plan with the intention on finishing my first ultra marathon in August. And, I have signed up for a few other races along the way (and a few after the August race). But, I'm not running because I'm in training. A training plan keeps me motivated, but I would be running even if I didn't have a race coming up. The only difference might be I wouldn't run the same distance or outside during less that optimal weather. I answered with "I'm always training for a race because I love to run". I enjoy the wildlife I see on my runs. It's fun to see other people out running, walking, riding their bicycles - whatever gets people outside. 

Races are fun, because there I can talk with other crazy runners like me. If they have an expo, I enjoy seeing new products. It's a fun way to add to my shirt collection, too! I rarely buy new running shirts, because I run in the race shirts. Most races also benefit a worthwhile charity. But, races are just the extra bonus I get from being a runner.

No excuses/Gotta Run









No comments: