Sunday, February 17, 2019

Training is hard!

Another week has gone by. Unfortunately, this week was not a good weather week. We had ice, wind, whatever. I don't mind cold weather and have plenty of cold-weather gear, but I just can't handle the cold wind anymore. As far as ice, I'm not taking any chances on a fall. At my age, it would take too long to recover from a broken bone. I plan to keep running until I can't anymore, and I want that "I can't" to be decades away!

With the ice and the accompanying road emergencies, I did not make it to the fitness club for the planned strength training. However, I have a DVD with specific yoga programs for runners. Some are for off days and are more intense, and some are for recovering after a run. I started with these again this week since I was a little more housebound than usual. Even one of my cats likes to do yoga! It is already helping - I don't feel as sore, and I think I stand a little taller :)

I managed every scheduled run this week, albeit on the treadmill. I was able to break in the Altra shoes a little more. They have a different heel drop than I am used to, and all the time on the treadmill was the perfect time to try them. I didn't have any issues, but if I had and I was running outside, it would have been a little difficult to stop and change shoes!

One thing I have noticed since I have been sticking to my 4-runs a week schedule is that I am constantly hungry - and I do mean constantly! At this point my goal is to maintain my weight while building strength and endurance. I certainly don't want to gain weight though. I started back on MyFitnessPal this week to track my food. I want to make sure that not only am I eating the correct amount of calories, but the right kind of food.

Even though I've been running for a little over twelve years (I was a late starter), I find that actually sticking to an all around training program is a lot of work; more than I expected. With a long trail race planned in August, I am taking training more seriously than ever before. Also, last year was a bad year for me in terms of running, so I'm trying to make this a much better year. In addition to actually running, there is strength training, nutrition, and recovery. With two jobs and lots of other things that make up this thing we call life, it can be daunting at times. I am trying, for a change, to put these training needs at a high priority. It makes the rest of life work a little more smoothly.

Here is hoping for better weather soon. Running 13+ miles on the treadmill is not fun, but it's better than no run at all.

Gotta run/No Excuses

One of my favorite yoga poses

Silly Cally!

No comments: