Saturday, April 4, 2009

Beautiful Saturday Morning

I woke up today and it's a nice, crisp Spring morning. It is a little chilly - 32 degrees or so when I started out. I got Ares up and got ready for a training run. Just before we took off I told him he'd better get a drink of water before we left, and he did! He's a smart dog.

We walked for a bit before I turned on my Garmin to track our distance. He's getting better, but the first few blocks are a fight for control, over the leash, over him wanting to nip at my legs, over him wanting to pick up recycling, etc. But he knows to eventually give up or he won't get to run. And, just like me, he loves to run!

We went the back way past the high school and them home via Riverside. He did the sprint up the hill, reluctantly! It was probably 80% or more running this time, with a few "bathroom breaks" for Ares. I think I will stick with the same route for him for a while, not increase the distance, and work on getting our pace faster, with a goal of almost 100% running. Together we ended up going 4.16 mile.

I dropped him off at home, got a drink of water, and took of for a Riverside loop run to finish off. It felt strange to run without Ares. I went about 1.85 more miles. I stopped partway to pet a dog and turned off my Garmin, and I went about 1/4 of a mile before I realized I had not turned it back on. But I know the route well enough it I am able to approximate how far I ran. I ended up with a total of about 6 miles, which is what I used to run almost every day. I'd like to try for 6 miles on most days. I'm trying to get back in shape without aggravating my knee or my ankle, so we will see how it goes.

Gotta run...

No comments: