Saturday, April 11, 2009

Perfect Starting Temperature -- for a Siberian Husky

It was cold this morning when Ares and I started out. I've run in colder weather, but for some reason it seemed worse this morning. Maybe it was the wind, or the fact that it is April and should be warmer :) If Ares hadn't needed a run, I likely would have turned around and decided to go another day. We are having a birthday party at our house today, and he needed burn some energy.

So, it was cold and windy when we started out. We took the usual back route to the high school. The trees helped block the wind, making it tolerable. Once we got out in the open again, however, the wind was very cold again. We continued home the usual route -- Jefferson, Riverside loop, and the sprint up the hill.

We didn't see any other runners out this morning. The only wildlife we saw were birds and many squirrels. Ares picked up recycling, as usual, but didn't bring a bottle all the way home. After dropping it several times in the road and getting pulled back when he tried to run out in traffic, he must have decided it wasn't worth it.

We ended up with about 4.21 miles. I used to run 6 miles most days, and now I'm getting 4 miles not even every day. But, if I counted the 2-3 long walks a day I take with Ares, the miles would add up. And, even though I'd like to be back at that 6 miles a day, at least I'm doing something, and I'm not giving up like I almost did last year. So, I'll keep running and gradually increase as the weather improves and as Ares gets more stamina.

Anyway, it was a good run and I'm glad I went. I'm still trying to warm up, though. Maybe some hot tea will fix that.

Gotta run ...

No comments: