Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve Morning Run

Ares and I needed to burn off some energy and get prepared to handle the stress of the holidays. And with a Winter Weather Advisory for this afternoon/evening and tomorrow calling for ice, we decided we needed to go this morning.

We started off, and found the sidewalks and roads were still slippery. So, we again went to Riverside Park. Ares loves running around the soccer fields and near the woods. We could see many footprints -- dogs, human, and deer. We did a lot of sprinting and then stopping to sniff (Ares did the sniffing, not me). We managed almost three full loops around the park. It's a different kind of run on the snow-covered grass, and it really works some different muscles.

We then went on down Riverside Avenue a bit on the road. I made sure that if there was ice, I was someplace with traction. We played it safe and walked if I felt it was too slippery. There was enough clear road, though, that it was a decent run. After running through the park, the road running seemed easier. I thought I was going much slower than usual. I checked my pace on my Garmin, and I was actually going faster than usual.

We went up Horace Street and turned around, coming back by Riverside Park. We managed to finish with the usual sprint up the hill. We didn't go as far as I wanted, but we were tired because of the park running. It was a decent run, though. We ended up with 4.25 miles. Now I have to clean/do laundry/last minute grocery and Christmas shopping. Ares -- well, Ares has to nap. He's tired.

Gotta run ...

No comments: