Saturday, July 2, 2016

Week Seven - Already?

I'm writing this one day early.  I adjusted my schedule due to the holiday and an event we will be attending.  If anyone reads my blog, remember I write these entries AFTER my long run, when my brain is not working quite right :)  Training went well this week and I was able to get in all my planned activities.  My knee is holding up, and I don't feel as sore as I used to when I ran almost every day.

Three things I learned this week:

1.  Putting my runs and other training events on the calendar really helps.

2.  With the calendar, I still need to remain flexible with my schedule.

3.  A middle-aged woman cannot (or should not) move a bookcase upstairs by herself.

Further explanation follows.

By putting my runs, etc. on my calendar, it's always with me (I use google calendar so it's on my mobile phone).  It helps when I'm scheduling things - I can look and see what training is on the calendar and work my activities around it.  It is an attempt to make my running and training a top priority (as much as possible).  Also,  I share my calendar with my spouse.  He will say something like "so today is strength training, right?".  It helps him motivate me and also gives him an idea what I'll be doing that particular day.  As we have entered middle age, our memory isn't as good as it once was, so any tools are useful!

Even with the calendar, I have realized that flexibility is important (not only physically, but with schedules).  For example, this weekend is a holiday weekend. It is also one of our friend's annual birthday party.  Normally I do my long run on Sunday.  That means on Saturday I have to watch what I eat, drink, etc.  The party is today (Saturday).  I want to enjoy the party, so I altered my schedule enough and did my long run this morning.  Not only does it allow my to be able to not have to watch my food intake quite so carefully, but it also insulates me against some stress I may feel, as I'm not an extremely social person.

Now to the last one.  I was rearranging my office, and I needed a bookcase for all of my running, fitness, and computer books (I teach computer classes part-time in addition to my full time job).  I cleared off a bookcase downstairs, and decided to not wait for someone to help me take it upstairs.  I diligently removed the shelves and proceeded to try to carry it up the stairs.  I was up one stair when I realized what a mistake that was.  I was forced to wait for my husband, and we got it upstairs without further incident.  Unfortunately,  I strained my back to the point it was a little swollen when I went to bed.  I was able to run today without an issue, so that is good news.

Of course along with physical and mental training, food is important.  Our local grocery store has 1/2 price produce on Thursday evenings, so this is how my refrigerator looked after shopping:



Look at all of that fresh fruit!  It's so good.  But, this is what I was doing after Thursday evening's run:




Flexibility is important with diet too.  And the brownies tasted so good!

And this is what running is all about.  After a nice morning run, I feel insulated from the stresses of the day.  I know I have done something just for me.  And when I can run outside (most of the time I can), I experience the beauty of nature.  Here are some sights during my runs this week: 




That's about it for today's blog.  I know it rambles, but most runners will understand!  


No Excuses  / Gotta run 






No comments: