Saturday, July 23, 2016

Week Ten - Tough Week

I'm amazed I've made it this far without any injuries or major training detours.  I've been following my schedule, making adjustments as necessary.  I was able to get my strength training in, too.  That program stepped it up a bit and I can feel it, especially in my abdominal muscles. 

This week was supposed to be a "cut-back" week as far as mileage.  Every few weeks, this schedule has a week with much less mileage.  I suppose it's to keep one from burning out.  I switched and moved the lower mileage week to next week.  My daughter is visiting at the end of the week, and I didn't want to try to squeeze in my runs or skip any high mileage while she is here.

The hot, sometimes stormy weather made this a tough week.  Tuesday's scheduled 10-mile run became an 8-mile run on the treadmill.  I didn't feel like taking a chance with the lightening that was happening, but after 8 miles I could do no more on the treadmill.  I used to do a higher percentage of my runs on it, because of weather and family obligations.  I can't imagine that now!  Wednesday we ventured to the big city and I was able to finally purchase some new running shoes.  Mine were well over their prime, and I could feel it in my hips and knee.  Of course I had to try them out, so I made up the 2 miles from Tuesday as soon as we got home.  Well, I MAY have gone 3 miles, but the new shoes felt so good! 

The toughest day by far this week was today.  I ran (technically I ran and walked) 20 miles!  I slept in a bit and started later than I planned.  Originally I wanted to be out by 4:30/5:00 a.m., but I ended up out the door at 5:50 a.m.  I wore my headlamp for part of the run, then looped back home to drop it off once it was light enough outside.  We are under a heat advisory, so I wanted to finish before it got too hot.  I didn't quite accomplish that goal, but the point is that I finished 20 miles.  Last year when I was training for my October marathon, I didn't end up with any 20-mile runs due to schedules, injuries, etc.  I have two more planned before this marathon.

Since today's run was so long, I altered my route.  Instead of keeping it in the country, I ran into town, by the library, a park (both of those twice - going out and coming back), some major parking lots, and so forth.  I did a country loop at the end.  I stopped home at 17.5 miles because all of my water was gone, and I was very thirsty.  I was tempted to stay in the nice air-conditioned house, but I couldn't since I was so close to my goal.  I saw some interesting things on my run.  At the library, I saw a group of people sitting on and around the cannon.  There is a Pokestop there, and I imagine someone set up a lure.  I saw quite a few runners; I assume they were like me and wanted to get their runs finished before the heat of the day set in.  I saw the usual deer and other wildlife. I'm glad I stuck it out and finished.  I didn't have my usual stomach issues, so I'm getting better at know what to eat and what not to eat the day before.  Now it's time for a little rest!




No Excuses  / Gotta run

No comments: