Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Evening Run

I hurt my knee on Sunday. Yes, it is the same knee I hurt before. I was walking the dogs and I slipped in the driveway. So, I decided to go for a test run this evening. I figured a short evening run/walk was the best way for a test -- there are people awake in my household that will answer the telephone if I need a ride home.

We did a combination of walking/running. Ares seemed a little tired, and I didn't want to overdo it. We did the back way almost to the high school, the Riverside loop, and the run up the hill. I saw some wildlife this time -- there were several deer in the fields. Ares didn't seem them, luckily, or he would have pulled me into the field!

My knee held up OK. It still hurts, though. I did make it over 3 miles (3.7), so I know I can still participate in 5k's. I am going to really try to build up again, and I'll be more careful when I'm walking the dogs, etc. I tend to wear sandals when I'm not running, but that's not a good thing as they are too slippery, so I will start to wear running shoes even for walks. If my knee starts to feel better again, I will invest in some new running shoes.

So, even though I'm a tad discouraged, as long as I can make it 3.1 miles, I can still be a runner. And I'm probably just having a string of bad luck and things will get better. Last year was such a good year; maybe this is just an off year for me and running. Curt and I have figured that even years are usually better for us, anyway :)

Gotta run ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Catherine, My name is Holly and I met you at the Bullfrog 5k in Wauseon. Thought I would check out your blog. I ran in the recent Delta Chicken Festival 5K and plan to run the Waterville 5k tomorrow. (Actually I am more of an advanced jogger than a runner) I keep plugging away and have yet to do a 5k in 30 minutes or less!

Hope your knee feels better!

Good luck with your training and Happy Trails!
Holly