Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Morning Run

This morning Ares was very energetic -- it could be those chocolates he stole last night. Anyway, he definitely wanted to run with me this morning.

It was a perfect morning for a run. The temperature was barely 60 degrees (maybe not even 60), the sun was out, and there was a gentle breeze. After I dragged Ares away from the chewy treat the neighbor gave him, off we went.

We ran the back way to the high school and back to Riverside. About the time we got to the park, I thought Ares' feet were a little sore. And, we needed to figure out a good route to get to our mileage goal. We decided to run in Riverside Park. It is a different running experience. I'm not used to soft ground, so I really had to watch myself. Ares loved it. I think we ran about 1/2 mile in and around the soccer fields. But, Ares ate his daily fill of clover, though (he loves to eat anything that slightly resembles a flower).

We then went back towards home and up the hill by the house, as usual. Ares was getting a little warm, and there happened to be someone watering their lawn with a sprinkler. They graciously let Ares play in the water a bit. We then finished off by running to the video store and then back home.

All and all it was a good run. I don't run as quickly when I have Ares with me, but he is slowly getting better. I only have to say no about 5 times when he starts to chew on the leash (it used to be much more difficult to get him to stop) or when he tries to grab some recycling to bring home. I don't want him running with a plastic bottle in his mouth, so I won't let him pick them up on runs.

I need to figure out some way to run some days/times with him, and some without. At least we are trying to gradually build up our mileage. Today we ended up with 5.30 miles.

Gotta run ...

Oh, and for those women runners who may read this (men can stop reading now) -- I bought a new running bra at Victoria's Secret yesterday (yeah, I know -- who knew I'd find one there) and it is GREAT. I'm going to get another one or two the next time I'm there.

No comments: