Saturday, June 21, 2008

2008 Bullfrog 5K

I just got back from the 2008 Bullfrog 5K. What a great run! The day started out cloudy with a few storms. It rained on the drive to the race, and it felt cold and damp when we arrived at the Fulton County Fairgrounds. I brought a warmer shirt with me, so I changed into that one. There were a few ominous looking clouds overhead.

Just before the race started, the clouds cleared and the sun came out. We lined up to start and I placed myself in the middle of the pack (between the fast teenagers and the walkers). Finally the race started. I kept a good pace, and I realized I was passing many runners before we even got off the track. I guess I should have lined up a little closer to the starting line!

I kept a pretty good pace throughout the entire race. As the race progressed, I passed more runners -- and I did not get passed by any. I managed to run the entire race without taking any walking breaks. The race starts and ends on the track. Just before I got back to the track, I started getting stomach cramps (rare for me), but I just slowed my pace a bit and kept on going. It was a great feeling running through the finisher's gates!

The end result -- I ran this race 6 minutes faster than last year's race. I ran my fastest 5K ever. I'm not a fast runner, but I'll take 27:14. Hey -- it was good enough to take first place in my age group!

No comments: