Saturday, June 7, 2008

Tiptoe through the ..... fallen trees?

Today was one of my most interesting runs. A storm went through town last night, causing many trees and branches to fall. A tree fell on our neighbors cars -- all three of them. We lost a tree limb, but luckily Earl's car was not parked out front like it usually is. A few trees across the street fell, too.

The storm damage seemed to be confined to the area between Hopkins Street and Riverside Park, and the streets of Jefferson, Washington, and of course Riverside. That is my usual running route. I went out past the high school, and there were no limbs down much past Williams Street.

I had to run in the street most of the time. Luckily most of the trees and branches had been moved off the streets (except for 3 trees on Jefferson), but the sidewalks were still covered. I had to be careful when I ran under trees, because I could see there were still several broken limbs hanging in the trees.

Aside from dodging the trees and tree limbs, it was a good run. It is still quite humid, but it is not as warm (yet). I needed the run as today is my son's graduation party. I ended up running past the high school, then back home and a short Riverside loop, stopping to take a few pictures. I ended up with just over 6 miles.

I guess instead of mowing the lawn in preparation for the party, we will be clearing branches ...

No comments: