Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Last running blog?

On Friday, a certain someone's motorcycle tipped. While I was helping him get it back upright I bruised the heck out of my wrist/arm -- it's black. And I twisted my knee. Again. I decided that if, after a few days of rest, my knee still hurt, that was it. I was going to give up running. This has been a bad year for me with so many injuries. Even though they are relatively minor, they keep occurring. I just get started running, begin to make some progress, and something happens. I can't build any mileage or get in any kind of running shape. I haven't been able to lose the weight I gained and I just feel sluggish. I also feel very stressed. Running has always been a stress reliever for me, but lately it's been just too frustrating.

I let my knee rest for a few days with only gentle walks, and then tried a few brisk walks. It felt OK, so I decided today to go for a run with Ares after work. The temperature cooled down, so it's not so hot. We started off slowly and ended up doing the back way to the high school - well almost to the high school, and back home. My knee held up! We even did the sprint up the hill by my house. We didn't do much in the way of mileage -- only 3.7 miles, but I didn't want to push it.

So, I guess this is NOT my last running blog. I will try to get one more run in before Saturday's 5k. This really will be the slowest race I've run, I'm sure of it. But, at least I'll run all of it, or most of it, without walking.

Gotta run ...

No comments: