Friday, June 5, 2009

*$@^#& Loose Dogs

I almost didn't run again today. But, I as I was getting ready to take Ares for a walk, I figured I might as well run instead.

It is a chilly morning today -- only about 40 degrees! I didn't realize quite how chilly it was until I started out. I should have come back for my gloves. We went the Riverside route, only reversed since Ares was more interested in some people walking. Of course he had to stop THREE times to do his thing.

After we did the sprint up the hill, we went the route to the video store. That's where we encountered another dog. I saw it before either dog noticed the other one, so I crossed the street. Unfortunately about that time the dog saw us, and it came across. This dog looked like it has some Rottweiler mixed in, so I didn't want to take any chances. I had to pick Ares up and tried to keep the dog away. Finally the owner came out and got the dog, but didn't apologize or anything.

And, to top it off, as I was trying to keep the dog away and my main focus was keeping Ares safe, I ended up twisting my knee. Just what I need when I'm finally feeling pretty healthy when I run. Hopefully it is just a twinge and will be better by tomorrow.

I'm really frustrated at all of these dogs. I just don't have any idea what to do. I will start carrying my pepper spray, and I will use it if I feel the least bit threatened. Dog owners may get upset, but they have to realize I have no way to know if their dog is friendly or not. And, there is a leash law in the city.

At least it was a beautiful morning. I saw the mist rising over Riverside park. I was hoping to see some deer, but they weren't in the park this morning.

We ended up with 3.5 miles. I'm trying to work us up gradually. We increase the mileage, and then work on a higher percentage of it running. Then we add more mileage. Eventually I hope to get back to 6 miles almost every day. I'll need to find some good running gear for winter, as Huskies love the cold!

Gotta run ...

No comments: