Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Lunchtime Run

Since I've had such a hard time getting up in the morning (too much going on to get to bed at a decent time), I decided to try a run a lunch today. I asked Ares if he was ready for a run, and his response was to jump on the couch and lie down. I figured that was a "no". So off I went on my own.

The weather was definitely "interesting" on this run. During the run I encountered sun, gentle rain, heavy rain with large drops, back to sun, back to heavy rain -- you get the idea. The rain never lasted long enough to cool me down, though. All and all, it was a hot, humid run. I may have overdone it just a tad, as my face was bright red (and not from sunburn) for an hour or so after the run.

I am not as concerned about this Saturday's race as I was. I had decided not to worry about it, anyway, since it's for charity and that's the real reason I run this race in particular. Part of the proceeds go to Sunshine foundation, and my oldest daughter has been a part of the Sunshine family since she was 5 years old (close to 30 years now). I know I won't match my best time to date, but I won't be as slow as I originally thought, either. I timed myself on this run, and when I hit the 5K mark I was pleasantly surprised to find it was around my normal time for a 5K.

I ran the Riverside loop with the extension out Jefferson and past the high school -- the exact same route as I did on my last run. And, without the dog, it took me 10 minutes LESS! I guess he takes too many breaks to relieve himself and walks too much of the time. It was nice to not have to keep stopping and to not have to pull, or be pulled, at various times in the run. I ended up with 4.6 miles. I'm going to have to figure out how to get some runs in just by myself and some with the dog. I enjoy both. I think my ankle and knee are pretty much back to normal, at least as much as they can be. Now if I can just lose that 10 pounds or so I gained over the winter, maybe I'll be getting close to my better times again.

Gotta run ...

No comments: