Thursday, November 26, 2009

Annual Turkey Trot

Today was the annual 4-mile Turkey Trot at the Independence Dam State Park. It was a warmer day than last year -- it was above freezing this year. But the wind was stronger! And the wind was coming at us on the second half of the run, making me feel cold since I was perspiring.

This year there were the most participants ever -- over 300. They said this is the 12th annual, and at the first one there were only 30 participants. I'm going to dig out my shirts sometime and try to figure out how many of them I've actually participated in.

It was definitely a crowded field. Off I went, and it felt strange to be running without Ares. At about the mile point, I ran into a friend of ours -- walking his new puppy. He said they had lost their other dog this past year to old age (he always walked in the event). I estimate Sam (the new dog) was about 3/4 grown. His owner said he couldn't run anymore because of a bad back, but Sam wanted to run. So ... I offered to let Sam come with me. He was so exited! His owner warned me that he tended to pull. Ha -- it was nothing compared to Ares. My pace definitely picked up once I had Sam with me. I don't know if I felt more comfortable or if it was his enthusiasm.

We stopped and talked to Curt for a bit at the turnaround where Curt always is. It's a good think I'm not in this for the hardware, because that stop cost me 3rd place in my age group. The 3rd place finisher for women 50-59 finished less than half a minute ahead of me.

If Ares is better behaved next year (and I think he will be since he will older) I will probably bring him with me to run. He was upset when I got home. He could tell I had been out running, and he could smell the other dog.

The main difference this year was that we had Thanksgiving dinner on Wednesday night. Usually I don't like to eat much the night before a race, but this is a fun one so it doesn't matter. And, today I can rest and just eat leftovers -- I don't have to do any cooking!

Gotta run ...

No comments: