Sunday, November 15, 2009

Probably not the smartest thing to do

Ever since my Wednesday evening run and almost falling, my knee has been hurting. Aching, really. But it's been a constant ache. And on Friday a few times it gave out on me while standing up.

Saturday I went shopping with my daughter and some of her friends, so that involved a lot of walking in the mall. My knee was really sore by the time I went to bed and it hurt all the say to my ankle. Sigh.

But, the Turkey Trot is in a week and a half, and I'm stubborn and want to run in it (not do the 2-mile walk, but the 4-mile run). So I figured I would test my knee today. After all, it's just an ache, right? It might be something I just have to learn to live with. I've thought about giving up running, but I just can't.

I took three Advil and then off Ares and I went for a run. At least I tried to warm up some and keep the pace relatively low with more walking than usual mixed in. My knee did not give out on me, and it actually felt OK for most of the run. We kept it short at only 3.8 miles. We were able to finish. So, that's a good thing, right?

Well, as I sit here writing this my knee is starting to really ache. I'd like to ice it and keep off of it all day, but life calls. There is laundry to be done, grocery shopping, etc. I'll put it up for a bit while I drink some tea, and then I'll keep it up later.

The good news is, though, it's not really any worse (well, it isn't yet). And it's not a sharp pain. I am beginning to think that maybe, after all the times I have injured or strained my knee during my life (pre-running too), I may have developed arthritis or some other chronic condition. And it may be something I just have to learn to live with. I'm willing to do that, since I know how running makes me feel.

Gotta run ...

No comments: