Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I think I finally wore Ares out

As I have decided to ignore my aching knee (and any other aches that crop up along the way), Ares and I went for a nice run this evening. With the holidays approaching, I feel somewhat stressed, and a run is the best stress relief.

I looked like a dork -- I have a hat with lights, and I wore a reflective vest. But I want to be safe! Ares was confused by the lights in my hat at first, and he kept staring up at me with this puzzled look on his face. After a block or so, when he almost ran into a tree (it wouldn't be the first time), he decided to ignore the funny hat.

We went the usual extended Riverside loop, out Jefferson to Ranchland, and back. We were getting close to a mileage goal, so we did a loop by the video store. We saw one other person who was foolish enough to run in the dark.

Ares really does not like the dark, so he was more tense than usual. He was so happy every time we went by a street light or a car went by. He didn't pull as much as usual, but I think his tension made him wear out more. Or perhaps it is the time of day -- he usually goes to bed in about a half hour, so it was getting closer to his bedtime.

Anyway, it was a good run and I feel much better. I'll take some pain reliever before I go to bed to help alleviate any discomfort. Oh, we ended up with five miles. It's been a while since we've gone that far. And we ran quite a bit more than the last time. We only took walk breaks when absolutely necessary.

Gotta run ...

No comments: