Sunday, May 25, 2008

Great Morning Run

There is nothing like an early morning Sunday run in the springtime. I left around 6:30 this morning. It was a little cool, the sun was coming up, and the birds were starting to wake up and sing. There was very little traffic -- all in all it was a quiet, peaceful run. There was no sound except the quiet pounding of my feet as I ran (and at times I had my ipod on, but very softly).

I ran the back way out past the high school and a little bit past Watson Road, then I took the Ginter Road loop on the way back. Since I was running out in the country somewhat, I was hoping to see some wildlife. I didn't see any deer, but I did see wild turkeys, geese (as always), squirrels, rabbits. Since it was so quiet, I was able to get quite close to the creatures. In fact, I almost ran over a squirrel. I finally had to talk to it to get it to move out of the way.

I went over 8 miles, and it felt pretty good. I was a little stiff at first since it was somewhat chilly and I hadn't run much this week. But once I got going I worked most of it out. When I got home, I realized that even though I only ran less than 20 minutes longer than I did on Wednesday, I ran 2-1/2 miles more! I must have picked up the pace a bit today. I do feel much better physically and emotionally after this run. What a great way to start a busy day! And, it's barely 8:00 in the morning and my family is all still asleep, so I still have some quite time left to myself.

No comments: