Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Rainy, nighttime run

I went for another nighttime run. There is a gentle rain, and the temperature is around 60.

First I went for a short warm up with two of my teenage children. They are just starting to get the running bug, so we decided on a "Riverside loop" combination of slow running/walking. They did great.

Then I needed to run more. My usual running partner had just eaten, so it was only me. Off I went. The rain picked up a bit, making it even better. I ran through town past the college to the Lowe's store, back through downtown, the junior high, Latty's Grove, Riverside Park, and then home. I was listening to some good music and even caught myself singing at times. What a sight I must have been -- a 50-year old soaking wet woman running through downtown singing! I ended up with just over 6.5 miles.

I hesitate to think what I would be like now if I did not run. I almost gave it up last year when my father was ill and then later passed away. Then when I found out I was in the NY City Marathon, I figured I should not stop.

Running is a time I use to sort through my thoughts, figure things out, or even just sing (a new thing for me lately). I also have been working through some issues from decades ago. There was a time when I was in an abusive relationship (ex-husband) and I have blocked much of that time out. I remember what happened, but only mentally. The emotions were blocked, but always there in the subconscious. Tonight I found myself remembering some of the feelings from that time, and I was able to handle them and work through them. I feel much better!

Another perfect run ...

No comments: