Saturday, May 10, 2008

Saturday Morning

Today was yet another Saturday morning run. It was a little cool when I started -- about 39 degrees. I dressed a little too warmly, however, as it warmed up quickly once the sun came up (and once I got into the run more).

This time I took the country route. There was morning dew on the grass, and I could smell all the flowering plants, especially the lilacs. I ran past the high school and all the way to Watson Road before turning back towards home. I ended up running just over 7.5 miles. About 1/2 way through I started getting too warm. I had even worn my running gloves, so I ended up carrying those the last 3 miles.

It was not my best run physically. I woke up feeling pretty stiff (that's what I get for being 50, I suppose). I did try to stretch a little before the run, but it didn't really help. Finally, after about 3 miles, my muscles felt warm and the stiffness went away. I stopped and did some more stretches, then finished the run. I have noticed that, especially in morning runs, it really takes 3 miles or so for me to "warm up". That's probably one reason I prefer the long runs (marathons and 1/2 marathons) as opposed to the 5K races. But, it's easier to plan for and get to the 5K races as there are more within driving distance.

The next year or so I probably won't get to a marathon or 1/2. When there is one within driving distance, it seems the children have some important activity we need to/want to attend. I enjoyed running the Cincinnati Flying Pig 2 years ago, but now the annual High School Sousa Concert (band) is the same day as the Flying Pig. As I have one son still in band after this year, it will be another 3 years before I am free that weekend. I would like to do the Disney world Marathon and 1/2 some year -- perhaps in 2010 (it's in January).

I like to have plans for a race, because it helps keep me motivated during those times when I seem to "forget" how much I love to run and how it makes me feel. Maybe if I keep up with these blog postings, I can read them when I feel unmotivated and they'll give me the push to keep on running.

That's it for now ...

No comments: