Monday, September 1, 2008

Accidental long run

There is a reason this is "the accidental runner" blog.

I went to Dave's Running shop in Toledo yesterday for new shoes. I wanted to get some in time to get them broken in for the September 7 race. Of course, I can't get just shoes. I ended up with two pair of Asics GT-2130's (my favorite shoes) - one in pink! I also got a bottle with hand grip so I can run with it, and a running shirt (on sale). On we went to another sporting store, and I ended up with new running shorts (pink to match the shoes) and another running shirt, both on sale of course. Now I'm all set for the race. I haven't gotten any new running clothes in over a year, so I don't feel too bad spending the money.

Well, today I planned to do a short run, about 4-5 miles, to start breaking in the shoes and get used to the hand grip bottle. I wore the pink shoes because that's the pair I plan to use on Sunday. I went the back way to the high school, and planned to do the Ginter Road loop and then back home. Well, I felt so good in the new shoes, the hydration from taking the bottle with me, had some great music on my Ipod, it was a beautiful morning, etc. I actually did forget to turn on Ginter road. Before I realized it, I had run to Watson Road! I'm not quite sure what I was thinking, other than how much I was enjoying the morning. When I realized where I was, I turned around, went back to the Ginter Road loop, and finished with the Riverside loop and the sprint up the hill. Instead of the 4-5 I planned, I accidentally ended up with 8 miles! I feel great, but I still have to mow the lawn yet this morning. I guess I got a good start on getting the shoes broken in.

Gotta run ...

No comments: