Friday, July 4, 2008

Defiance River Run

Well, I wasn't sure how well this run was going to turn out. Last night, while carrying a laundry basket, I stepped on one of those little "bouncy balls" and twisted my ankle. I took some ibuprofen and kept it elevated.

Today was the race. The first part of the race took us through some muddy, pothole-filled section, but after that it was city roads. And, for once, I didn't have to wait at any streets for cars to pass.

My ankle hurt a little bit, but by the end of the first mile it was just numb. I ended up coming in second in my age group. I was just a little slower than my race 2 weeks ago -- 27:25 (two weeks ago it was 27:11). I feel good about the run -- I was able to run relatively well in spite of my ankle. I don't have any races scheduled for later this summer, but I think I'll need to find one or two just to keep myself motivated.

Also running in the race were some of my husband's cousins, his niece and nephew, their cousins, wives, boyfriends, etc. Four of us ended up placing. One placed 3rd in her age group, another placed 3rd in his age group, Ryan placed second in his age group, and I placed second in mine. It was a good showing for the family, but most of all we had fun!

Now it's time for a great brunch with the family.

No comments: