Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Why I run (not about a run)

Some people question why I have embraced running as I have. Sometimes I wonder myself! So, I decided to write a blog to explain to myself and others why I like running so much.

With three teenagers, a handicapped adult child, an elderly mother-in-law, issues with my siblings, and just life in general, I currently have the potential for a lot of stress in my life. At times in the past it has become almost overwhelming.

The main reason I like to run is that it helps my mood. When I feel anxious, worried, stressed, or depressed, there is nothing like a good run to make me feel better. I may still have the same feelings after a good run, but they are much less intense and I am usually able to logically figure out why I am experiencing these feelings and even come up with solutions. When I run in the morning, it helps me to remain calm when I have too many "fires to put out" on my job, and I am more productive. I know some members of my family have noticed how running improves my mood, and I have been asked, or told rather strongly, to go for a run at times!

But, I like to run when I am happy, too!

There are other reasons I run. I have a family history of heart disease. I eat right, am not overweight, and I still have high blood pressure. So, I am running from heredity. I've finally started to get somewhat of a runner's build (as much as I can with my family genes), and I like the way I look when I stick to a good running plan. I also feel more energetic when I run regularly -- except for those days when I get up early to run after having stayed up too late the night before! I also sleep better when I am running regularly.

When I run, I am able to think about all sorts of things or even meditate in some ways. I'll listen to some good music and watch the world around me. I pay attention to the nature around me. On runs I have seen deer, rabbits, birds, groundhogs, and many other animals. I almost was run over by a deer once! I have discovered the joys of running in the rain and of running at night. Everything is so different at night! Only true runners understand how satisfying it is to run in the rain -- one of my favorite runs is when it is moderately warm and there is a gentle (or even not so gentle) rain falling. It is as if any problems in my life are washed away.

In the winter, when I am relegated to the treadmill for most runs, I get a chance to catch up on movies or television shows (mainly from the Sci-Fi channel) that I have missed because I was otherwise occupied, or because I fell asleep while watching them.

Running is one of the few things I do just for myself. As a wife and mother with a full time job, most of my time is spent doing things for other people. I will run by myself or with friends. I like to encourage others to run. I believe it is better to have a nice conversation while running than over a beer (I don't drink anyway) and fatty food.

I also gain a sense of accomplishment through running. This can be by reaching a goal of running a specific number of days/miles in a week, finishing a race, or bettering my time from race to race. I never set a goal to place in my age group or finish first, but it certainly is great when I do accomplish this.

And last, but not least, I run so I can eat more chocolate!

No comments: