Friday, August 22, 2008

First long run in a while

It was warm and humid this morning compared to this past week -- about 73 degrees by the time I started my run. I am on vacation today, so I started a little later, but it was still dark outside.

I did the usual run through town, Lowe's parking lot, Mall parking lot, back through town -- but then I added the Ginter Road loop, finished with the Riverside Loop and a sprint up the hill by my house.

I have decided to sign up for a 1/2 marathon in Cleveland on September 7th -- just over two weeks away. I wanted to see if I could survive a relatively long run before I sent my money off. I ended up this morning with 10 miles. I've read that if you can do a 10-mile training run, you should have no problem with a 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles). So, I think I'm set! Now, later today if I have trouble walking, we'll see if I'm still as confident.

I'm going to stick to my shorter runs during the week (well, 5-7 miles), and try another long run next weekend. I'm now very carefully watching what I eat to see if I can drop a few pounds before the race without compromising my nutrition. I've noticed my best running is at a weight just a few pounds under where I am now. So, there may be some "cranky" blogs as I try to eat well while still going to soccer games, football games, etc. -- stadium food is not the healthiest food to eat!

Gotta run ...

No comments: