Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Running in the Morning Darkness

I didn't run on Monday, and my mood was definitely affected. So, I knew I needed to run today. There are many activities going on before and after work, so an early morning run was the only way to get it done.

I took off before 5:00 a.m. this morning. It was a pleasant, cool, morning, but DARK. I ran through town and almost to Lowe's, then decided that parking lot was a little too dark this morning. So, I crossed the street and ran through the mall parking lot a bit. Then I ran back through town. As I was running down Jefferson to do the loop to the Baptist Church, I realized just how dark it still was outside. There are not many streetlights, well at least not many that are working. I couldn't really see the sidewalks. As cars would pass by, I could see the sidewalk because of the headlights. I'd try to memorize what I could see (cracks, bumps, raised parts) so I could continue running until the next car came along. It certainly was a brain exercise, too early in the morning! It was still dark as I was on my way back from the Baptist church, but the sun was starting to come up. I finished the Riverside Loop and the sprint up the hill by my house with enough daylight to see.


It was not my best run, but not a bad one. I ended up with 6.43 miles.

No comments: